Our Consulting Services
While professionals have begun to tailor their skills to keep pace with the trend towards green roof construction, many are quickly discovering that because green roofs are a living construction element, they cannot be treated as “cut and paste” across projects, like so many hardscape details for stone walls, brick walks, and concrete sidewalks. Engineering for roof loads, project budgets, client goals, and construction access must all be considered. Climatic differences can vary immensely from one geographic location to another, and micro-climates found on the roofs of individual buildings can impact plant choices.
Consulting for Your Project
Owner and Horticulturalist Ed Snodgrass has consulted on green roof projects of all sizes for over five years. Ed’s knowledge and experience has been sought on green roof projects in both the private sector, and on institutional and research properties. For examples of past projects, please see our Projects page or visit our Research and Development section.
Frequent consulting topics and questions include:
- the creation of plant lists for specific building sites or specific site conditions
- the performance of particular species in various geographical locations
- review of plant lists prepared by architects, landscape architects, and project designers
- on-site visits to evaluate the health, conditions, and performance of existing green roofs
- coordinating green roof maintenance with building operations personnel including watering and weeding schedules
- Green roofs and LEED Certification
- integrating the design of a green roof with other types of rooftop gardens or other site amenities
- green roofs for educational experience
- plant selection for green roofs
Please contact Ed Snodgrass directly to discuss your project.
In addition to hourly or daily rates, accommodation and transportation expenses must also be provided for, if necessary. We are happy to schedule consulting visits for multiple projects in the same area to reduce costs.
Please call us at 410-452-5880 to arrange site visits and other consulting services.
Ed is often on the road, giving lectures and educating people about green roof plants and technology at a variety of conferences each year, from local events in Washington, D.C. to green roof symposiums in Australia.
Please contact Ed directly at 410-452-5880 if you are interested in arranging a presentation at your event.
To view green roof events in your area, please see our Events Calendar.